Almost everyone does laundry as part of their everyday routine. Do you know how important taking care of your clothes dryer is to the safety of your home? A few simple safety tips you can help prevent a clothes dryer fire that can destroy our house.
The leading cause of drier fires is failure to properly clean the drier vent
Follow these guidelines to help prevent a drier fire in your home
- Have your dryer installed and serviced yearly by a professional. ServiceMaster of Salem can clean out the vents and make sure the vent hose is free of debris.
- Never use the dryer without a lint filter.
- Make sure you clean the lint filter before or after each load of laundry. Remove lint that has collected around the drum. This lint can be left outside for birds to use in nests.
- Rigid or flexible metal venting material should be used to sustain proper air flow and drying time.
- Make sure the air exhaust vent pipe is not restricted and the outdoor vent flap will open when the dryer is operating. Once a year, or more often if you notice that it is taking longer than normal for your clothes to dry.
- Keep dryers in good working order. Gas dryers should be inspected yearly by a professional to make sure that the gas line and connection are intact and free of leaks.
- Make sure the right plug and outlet are used and that the machine is connected properly.
- Follow the manufacturer’s operating instructions and never overload your dryer.
- Turn the dryer off if you leave home or when you go to bed.