“Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware: Fire Can Happen Anywhere.”
This week is the National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Fire Prevention Week and this year’s theme is: “Look. Listen. Learn. Be Aware: Fire Can Happen Anywhere.” We at ServiceMaster Restore thought it would be appropriate to remind people that fires can and do still happen – at home, as well as in the workplace – and that there are basic but vitally important steps people can take to remain safe.
During this week, the NFPA encourages homeowners to check their smoke alarms to ensure they are working in the event of a fire.
Here are some tips on avoiding common causes of fires:
- Cooking-related fires
- The leading cause of fires in the kitchen is unattended cooking. Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food. Turn off the stove if leaving the kitchen for even a short period of time.
- Candle-related fires
- More than half of all candle fires start when things that can burn are too close to the candle. Keep candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Heating-related fires
- Remember to turn portable heaters off when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Electrical-related fires
- Only plug one heat-producing appliance (such as a coffee maker, toaster, space heater, etc.) into a receptacle outlet at a time.
Whether at home or at work, it is important to create a fire escape plan, and we encourage using the following tips:
- Walk through the home / business and inspect all possible exits and escape routes. Families with children should consider drawing a floor plan of the home, marking two ways out of each room, including windows and doors.
- When walking through the plan, make sure the escape routes are clear and doors and windows can be opened easily.
- Choose an outside meeting place (a neighbor’s house, a light post, mailbox or stop sign) a safe distance in front of the home / business where everyone can meet after they’ve escaped. Mark the location of the meeting place on the escape plan.
- If there are infants or older adults in the home, assign someone to assist them in the event of an emergency.
Candle Safety Tips and Alternatives
The weather has been cooling off and along with the colder weather, comes closing the windows you had open all summer for that amazing fresh air. In place of the fresh air, most people like to burn candles to keep their homes smelling nice. Fire Safety with candles is very important! Candles are beautiful and smell amazing, but it is an open flame, and if not monitored properly can lead to a fire in your home. In fact, accidental candle fires account for approximately four percent of all U.S. residential fires. Studies have shown that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything flammable.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
There are also other options besides candles to keep your home smelling nice. Potpourri and Eucalyptus are good alternatives that can also look pretty. There are candle warmers, which you plug in and place a larger candle on top of the warm surface and it just melts it instead of burning it. And a more recent addition to these alternatives is the essential oils diffuser, which works like a humidifier with water and a few drops of your favorite scented oil.
Home Fire Drill Tips from ServiceMaster
If you or your business experiences a fire, please contact us immediately and not attempt to clean anything yourself. We can provide guidance on the steps to mitigate the damage. Please call us at any of our locations:
Salem: 503-585-4017 Corvallis / Albany: 541-738-4624 Lincoln Co.: 541-996-2255