What Should I Do When I Leave For Vacation?
We recently posted a video on our Facebook page that showed some great ideas as to how you can make sure your home is prepared when you leave for vacation. With Oregon’s Spring Break next week, we thought it would be a good idea to offer some more tips in case you and your family plan on getting out of town to take advantage of Spring Break.
Keep your home safe with this checklist:
Your vacation should be relaxing and worry-free. That’s why it’s a good idea to prepare your home before you leave on any long trip. Then, any problems on the home front are just one less thing to worry about.
Make your house look lived-in
An empty house is like an open invitation to burglars. To keep your house looking occupied:
- Stop the newspaper and mail – or ask a trusted neighbor to pick them up
- Park your car inside the garage, if you have one
- Ask a neighbor to park in your driveway occasionally so there’s activity at your house
- Put at least one light in your house on a timer
- Install a motion-activated sensor on an outdoor floodlight. (Burglars hate outdoor lighting – and that’s why we love it)
- Make sure your lawn stays trimmed
Take the necessary plumbing and electrical precautions
Running appliances while you’re away is not only a needless expense, it could also lead to costly problems. To avoid the possibility of an appliance breakdown while you’re away:
- Unplug small appliances and electronic devices
- Put the water heater in “vacation” mode
- Turn off water valves to the dishwasher, washing machine and all sinks
- Set your thermostat to a temperature closer to outside temps (warmer in the summer, cooler in the winter) but which still protects your plants, pets and furniture
General home preparation
Other things to consider doing before your vacation:
- Notify your credit card company and home security company that you’ll be out of town
- Make sure your smoke detectors are working properly
- Leave your emergency contact information with a neighbor
- Dispose of any food that could go bad before you return from vacation
- Take out the kitchen trash – especially anything that might start to stink
- Run your garbage disposal with a half-cup of vinegar and some water
We hope these tips come in useful for you and your family so you can enjoy your Spring Break.
Here is the video we posted earlier this week on our Facebook Page. We found this video by ServiceMaster Restore extremely helpful (Click HERE to view the video):
For more information about water damage restoration, fire damage restoration, mold remediation or immediate service at your home or business, please call us at one of our 3 locations:
Salem – 503-585-4017
Albany & Corvallis – 541-738-4624
Lincoln City – 541-996-2255