Don’t Let a Fire Put a Damper on Your Holiday!
Fireplaces and wood stoves are cozy and warm for the winter. But in order to keep the air healthy and reduce the risk of fire damage, here are some tips for keeping your fires safe this winter:
- Burning wood improperly can produce dangerous emissions such as carbon monoxide, organic gas and heavy smoke. Burn only seasoned hardwoods such as oak, maple and hickory.
- Never burn papers that contain bleaches or dyes. The particles produced by these can produce noxious, corrosive or even carcinogenic gases.
- Back-puffing is also a danger. An obstructed chimney or flue causes smoke to build up in the house. Blockage can be caused by soot and creosote buildup or by bird’s nests.
- Have the chimney inspected and/or cleaned at least once a year. This is job best done by a professional.
Part of the holiday fun is untangling masses of lights to decorate the tree or wrap around the shrubs in the yard but can also put your home or business at risk for fire damage. Be sure to follow these simple guidelines to keep your home or business safe this holiday season.
- Check each set of lights for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires or loose connections. Discard damaged sets or repair them before using.
- Fasten outdoor lights securely to trees, house, walls or other firm support to protect from wind damage.
- Use no more than three standard size sets of lights per single extension cord.
- Turn off all lights on trees and other decorations when you go to bed or leave the house. Lights could short and start a fire.
Want more information about how to protect your home or business from fire damage this holiday season? We found this article by ServiceMaster Restore extremely helpful. The article states that, “According to the American Red Cross, winter holiday fires claim more than 500 lives each year and cause approximately $554 million in property damage.” To read the full article, click HERE.
For more information about fire damage restoration or immediate service, call us at:
Salem – 503-585-4017
Albany & Corvallis – 541-738-4624
Lincoln City – 541-996-2255
Civil War Parties Generate Lots of Toys for Toys-4-Tots!
Once again, we held three Civil War parties that doubled as Toy Drives for Toys for Tots. Thank you to all of our partners and attendees who came through with another huge donation to the organization. We appreciate all of you who brought toys to one of our parties in Lincoln City, Corvallis and Salem.
All three parties were a huge success, and many who attended went home with prizes that included Civil War tickets, Duck or Beaver painted Traeger grills, a big screen TV and much more! We appreciate the support and look forward to doing these events again next year. Here are some pictures from this year’s events.
ServiceMaster Restore is a leading Fire Damage Restoration Provider in Salem, Corvallis, Albany, Lincoln City, Newport and all of the surrounding areas.